Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Smoke and Burn

The smoke from the I-90 fires hang in the air adding a slight gray tinge to the sunbleached landscape, it blurs the lines of the horizon. The dry heat has toasted my grass to a crunchy beige and addled my brain. I know I'm supposed to say something to you, what is it that you are looking to find here?

I don't want to talk about Conrad Burns, I saw him on the news the other day visiting a fire camp in alooking like a regular rancher all dressed up for church in a crisp light blue dress shirt and (light colored?) casual slacks minus the windburn and callouses as if he doesn't remember what to wear at home with the common folks who do the heavy lifting. This is Montana, we wear jeans and Carharts or Columbia and Patagonias.

We wear functional outdoor gear, the key word there is functional, but the Senator was there to be seen and heard, not to work or listen so he probably never thought about it. If you want to read about Burns, check out Talking Points Memo and TPM Cafe. Josh does a run down of Conrad Burns ties with Jack Abramoff for those of us who can't quite keep it all straight enough to explain it all to somebody who wasn't already paying attention.

Really, I don't know if Grover Norquist and Ralph Reed fit into this, it's too much like sipping the spittoon and finding out that it's all connected.
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home