Monday, August 01, 2005

This Is the Montana Spirit

I grew up in rural Montana so I know that you can work a lot of hours and still go hungry if you don't keep your pantry well stocked with real, not processed foods. The worse the economy is, the more food I want put away-I don't like to go hungry and wouldn't want the neighbors too, either so I keep my rodent proof containers full of beans, rice, lentils and pasta. If the family needs to move in again or if I get extended houseguests, we have plenty of food and it's no problem.

I found this one by accident

Okay we're all different, but this little family owned and run company highlights what Montanans believe about ourselves . Common sense, determination, honest, intelligent and hardworking. I met a man at a composting (I am a fun girl, I am!) a couple of years ago who preserves his food that way and he said that he had packed his own cereal grains in a similar fashion and they were still fresh more than a decade later! (This does not imply any type of guarantee from grannyinsanity or anyone else.)

If you want some good natural organic Montana wheat, consider pooling with some friends or neighbors to disburse the shipping costs because this stuff is a very good deal. This WWII vet reminds me of something solid that I would hate to lose:

I was out spraying one day in the mid 1970's and I got to thinking, "This doesn't make sense. Here I am, spraying my wheat with poison, and we are eating this stuff and feeding it to other people, too."

I thought some more about it after I went home, and decided to go organic.
I haven't used any spray or chemical fertilizers since.

With the help of two sons and a son-in-law, I built a modern facility on our farm to grind our home-grown organic hard red spring wheat into flour. We purchased a natural granite stone mill and designed bagging equipment and a process for preserving freshness and nutritional quality with natural nitrogen packaging.

[...]



I love it that people like Alvin Rustebakke can still do what they want and intend to start an environmental and agricultural series soon because it's important to have people like him doing what he does and I because I have already done a lot of work on it. Can I do that without being accused of hating my country?

If you didn't make that jump with me, I'll explain it. This morning Bill O'Reilly played a small clip of President Carter saying that (paraphrased) what was going on at Gitmo was disgraceful and has diminished our image in the world. Critisizing torture means that you hate America in falafel land.

I can never be okay with torture no matter who does it so I might have to start sharing agricultural stories with you, but if you want the fun stuff like pictures of a beet drill or something you will have to go see moos.
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home